Final Global Scholars Blog


The Poly Global Initiatives program has been a part of my life since long before high school. Hosting exchange students through Poly has and will always be a big part of my childhood. I can remember specific GIP events that my mom would drag me to back when I was in elementary and middle school. Hearing Arn Chorn Pond talk about his experience during the Khmer Rouge regime. Listening to Reyna Grande talk about the immigrant experience here in Los Angeles. And although I initially wasn’t thrilled to have to drive all the way to Pasadena from La CaƱada––which back then seemed like a trek––I can remember being pushed to think beyond my own home or community, and learning about events or topics I would have never really been exposed to otherwise. 
And so this year, I am thrilled to have been a part of the Poly ‘22 Global Scholars cohort to round out my experience with the Poly Global Initiatives Program and take advantage of everything it has to offer. I feel so lucky to have been able to hear from and converse with so many talented and accomplished speakers that have been brought into Poly through this program. Hearing Dr. Cornel West and Dr. Robert George discuss the importance of civil discourse deeply resonated with me, and certainly influenced how I approached political conversations afterward. Talking with Dr. Vishakha Desai about her experience with AFS was incredibly interesting and helped me further my understanding of the program. And learning about the importance and role of journalism in the international sphere from Terry McCarthy was illuminating. 
Beyond the speakers, I’m grateful for the other opportunities that being a Poly Global Scholar has afforded me. I participated in my first N4 story exchange a few weeks ago, and was thoroughly surprised by how connected I felt with both myself and the other participants afterward. The grant proposal process was another incredibly rewarding and worthwhile experience. I enjoyed working with the development office to learn about how to successfully pitch an idea to a panel of judges. I’m also excited to continue working with our organization–PFS!––this summer to teach our global leadership course. None of this would have been possible without the resources and people available to me via the global scholars program. 
While there were perhaps moments where I wasn’t feeling motivated to write my blog or I just wanted to go to bed instead of go to a GIP event, I’m still so glad I decided to join the Poly Global Scholar Program. It has been an incredibly rewarding experience that I am proud to have been a part of. Thank you so much Mr. Caragher and Ms. Diederich for all that you have done! 

Comments

Popular Posts