Takeaways from Screening and Discussion of "Generation Hope"

         For Thibeaux’s capstone project, he decided to make a documentary about the impact of both Covid 19 and the Black Lives Matter movement on the youth of Los Angeles. Before even watching the documentary, I appreciated that Thibeaux was able to combine a creative passion (filmmaking) and really use it to convey a meaningful message to the world. As I watched the film, I was incredibly impressed by the quality of the filmmaking, editing, and music. The documentary itself felt analogous to one I might watch on Netflix or HBO. With respect to the content and message of the documentary, I was moved by two things. The first was Thibeux’s focus on the perspective of today's youth in particular. While younger generations are becoming more and more vocal thanks to social media platforms, I feel like most documentary type films tend to focus on the points of view of adults. In this manner, I felt that Thibeax’s decision to really hone in on how both covid and BLM has impacted our generation was a really unique one. The second was Thibeux's understanding not to center the film around himself and his ideas. Instead, he excelled at allowing the voices of others to be the focus of the film. Overall, this was a high quality and impactful documentary.

Comments

Popular Posts